Monday, April 15, 2013

Fish Heads, Fish Heads, Rolly-polly Fish heads

Yes fish heads. go ahead and run away if you need to. I understand.

this one is a little... soapboxy. just letting you know.


--- --- --- --- ---

we in general are weird about food that looks at us.


as with a lot of what I get for my family, Price is a major consideration, the recession isn't moving along at any pace near 'gone' BUT I also try and stay away from a lot of processed food... aside from sausages and hot dogs and mac and cheese. even I have 'those nights' and need the comfort of junk.

So yesterday I sauntered up to my Winco fish counter and started up a conversation with the worker... doesn't everyone do this? I have a relationship with my check out lady, the pizza department and the meat counter. I believe everyone needs some niceness in their every day job. especially one as thankless as food retail.

and there staring back at me where some HUGE fish heads. salmon... I like salmon. Hubby LOVES to get salmon collar when we get sushi. ooh a dollar a pound... lets see the filets... $9/lb damn.

pretty obvious who wins there. the heads. three heads total weighing in at 7 pounds.


so the plan is to broil or grill these bad boys, cut in half and basted in teriaki sauce with some jasmine rice and a side of miso soup. mmmm .


will update with pictures when I cook it up.
 --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ------ --- --- --- ------ --- --- --- ------ --- --- --- ------ --- --- --- ---

 the subject. I was very happy to find the heads had the collars. yay


 Lets take a look. gills are bright red and the fish smells like a day at the beach, this is good fish.


 first head. the moon shaped pieces are the collars and the head in the upper left. just a note, i discovered the gills had little teeth at the front, be careful.because of the slippery nature of the head I would probably hold it down with a small washcloth or towel as you saw through the cartilage. a cleaver would have been good too but I don't have one.

 one head split in half, salted liberally and the 6  collars

 the remaining two heads would take up a sheet pan of their own so they were stashed in a bowl for another night. a nice soup probably.

the pan after salting both sides of the fish was then parked in the fridge to let the salt  pull up some extra moisture and proteins which will make a great crispy skin.
I just find myself now in want of Miso to go with this. but we work with what we have.

 All done, about eight minutes per side. drizzled with teriaki sauce. good, fatty though but its those Omega-3s they kept squackin' about so might as well enjoy it!

1 comment: